Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hoppy Beerthday

Yesterday, 11/1/14, was the American Homebrewers Association's Learn to Homebrew Day.  It was also my 2nd beerthday (I brewed my first batch on Learn to Homebrew Day).  I met up with a few UnderGroundBrewSquad (my homebrew club) members and had a day of demonstration brewing at BFD.  We brewed 36 gallons as a club and had many local people stop by the shop to learn a bit and enjoy a brew or two.  I brewed the trial run of Holy MALTrimony, an Imperial IPA that I will ferment with Belgian Strong Ale yeast.  I plan to brew this beer multiple times to ensure that it is just right for the shindig celebrating the marriage of my good friends Janie and Nikki.

When I first started brewing, it was on a simple stove top set up.  At that point I was using extract, could only boil a little over 3 gallons, and had to top off (add water) to end up with 5 gallons of beer. My current set up is capable of producing 10 gallons (no need to top off) and I am using all-grain (no extract unless I want to).  The next step up in my set up will be kegging.  Check back in the future for a how-to post on turning a refrigerator into a kegerator.

My initial set up using a camp stove.
I still use the same assistant though.

My current set up at AHA Learn to Homebrew Day at BFD.

Photo credit: Calvin Crawford
Note the difference in light, I got started later than planned.
Follow me on Twitter or like my Facebook page for sneak peeks into upcoming posts.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

RSS via FeedBurner